Zero Carbon Pledge
Take the Zero Carbon Pledge
Ready to take the pledge to join EDGE on the path to decarbonization? Simply provide some basic information below, and an EDGE team member will follow up with you on next steps to add your company to our Zero Carbon Pledge Wall.
What is the Zero Carbon Pledge?
IFC and EDGE support the development of Zero Carbon buildings worldwide. A Zero Carbon building is at least 40% more energy efficient than a typical building and is fully powered from renewable energy*. Participating companies pledge their portfolio of buildings will be Zero Carbon (or Zero Carbon Ready) by a certain date.
In 2021, 18 companies took the pledge, with a pipeline exceeding $10bn of investment in green buildings by 2030. In the run up to COP27, the IFC EDGE team has re-opened the Zero Carbon Pledge to allow for more companies to participate, while also taking stock of what has been achieved to date by our legacy pledgees.
Will your company make the pledge this year and join EDGE on the path to a Zero Carbon future?
How do I get involved in the Zero Carbon Pledge as a developer?
To take the Zero Carbon Pledge, a developer commits a portion or all of their portfolio to being 100% Zero Carbon by a certain date – between 2030 and 2050 – and defines the number of certified square meters. EDGE Advanced certification (Zero Carbon Ready) is also an option.
What’s in it for our company?
- Show leadership in green buildings on a global stage
- Attract international clientele
- Attract new sources of green finance
- Demonstrate your contribution towards the Paris Agreement
Who do I contact to get involved?
You can contact Michelle Farrell at IFC and get the full list of commitment options and details of the program. Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org and she will get you the enrollment papers.
Looking forward to your participation in the Zero Carbon Pledge!
2021 EDGE Zero Carbon Pledgees
We look forward to hearing what these innovative companies have done since taking their Zero Carbon Pledge last year. In the lead up to COP27, we will be releasing a special highlight series chronicling their achievements.
ALP is determined to move from a low carbon to a zero carbon developer because it is both the right thing to do for all our stakeholders and because, as a long term investor in our modern industrial buildings it is the only viable commercial path for our company.”
CEO-Africa Logistics Properties (ALP)
- We will continue to build new certified green buildings as we have done from 2017.
- We have inventoried all our assets and in under four years, ALP has so far raised US$86.5million to construct modern grade-A warehouse facilities in the Eastern African region with US$80million already invested and c.US$66.5million forecast to be invested in Kenya.
- We expect to build 100,000 sqm of certified green Industrial buildings by 2025 on our 49 acre ALP West Logistics Park in Tilisi, Limuru, Kenya.
- We expect to build at least 50,000 sqm of certified net zero carbon Industrial buildings by 2030.
- We will lower the utility bills of all our newly constructed Industrial buildings in our portfolio by 2030 through energy efficiency measures.
- We are continuously reviewing our new build investment criteria and will map out/publish an initial zero carbon trajectory for our company by 2023.
- We expect to build 120,000 sqm of EDGE Advanced certified green buildings by 2025 and 10,000 sqm of certified net zero carbon buildings by 2030
- We will lower the utility bills of up to a minimum 25% of households by 2030 through energy efficiency measures
- We will inventory all our assets and review our new build investment criteria and map out/publish an initial zero carbon trajectory for our company by 2022
- We commit to increase roof surface space for all our buildings in new developments to a total minimum of 40,000 sqm to adopt more solar roof installation and generate solar renewable energy for homeowners.
- We commit that 2/3 of our real estate portfolio will be certified green by 2025
- 80% of our real estate portfolio will be certified EDGE Net Zero carbon (or equivalent) or EDGE Advanced (or equivalent 40% resource reduction) by 2030
- We will promote green building certification to all our local partners and stakeholders beginning in 2021
- We will only invest in certified green buildings from 2022 onwards
- We will only invest in EDGE Net Zero carbon (or equivalent) certified buildings from 2025 onwards
As part of an industry that has the opportunity to ensure that India’s future building stock is environmentally resilient and inclusive, Mahindra Lifespaces is committed to decarbonization of the built environment through net zero buildings that promote user health and well-being. We will also continue to advocate for a wider uptake of green buildings through consumer awareness creation and stakeholder engagement.
Mr. Arvind Subramanian
Managing Director & CEO, Mahindra Lifespace Developers Ltd.
- We expect to build 200,000 sqm of certified net zero carbon ready buildings by 2030.
- Our current portfolio is 100% certified green(since 2014) and all our future developments will also be 100% certified green.
- We will build only Net Zero Carbon Ready certifiable buildings 2030 onwards.
The severity of our current climate crisis requires a commensurate response and commitment from real estate owners, developers, and managers: NET ZERO. We firmly believe that we can and must play our part in this global collective effort. We are wholeheartedly making a Net Zero Carbon Buildings Commitment and encourage all other real estate firms to heed the call and make the commitment.
- For all new office projects, we will only build certified green and net zero carbon buildings
- Our current portfolio is already 100% certified as green buildings. We will achieve Net Zero Carbon certification for our entire portfolio by 2022.
- We will lower the utility bills of our managed properties by a minimum of 25% by 2030 (compared to the 2019 baseline) through energy efficiency measures
- Our current portfolio is already 100% powered through renewable energy. Our portfolio will continue to source and use only renewable energy moving forward (except for standby power for resilience).
- We will certify as green 1,750,000 sqm by 2025.
- We will certify 1,000,000 sqm as Net Zero Carbon by 2030.
EDGE has allowed us to position ourselves as the only provider of affordable “sustainable and resilient homes” in the Philippines. It is amazing to see that we are empowering the affordable housing market with the ability to fight climate change — while they are saving on utility expenses and enjoying a green home.
President – Imperial Homes
Imperial Homes Corporation pledges 100% of its solar-powered resilient communities be certified EDGE Advanced or EDGE Net Zero Carbon from 2022-2030. This will include 338,159 square meters committed, based on our current EDGE portfolio.
We want to inspire Filipinos that there is a better way in building a home that is both comfortable to people and at the same time not harming the environment. We all have a duty to protect our planet for our children and future generations to inherit.
- We expect to build 10,000 sqm of EDGE Advanced, or better, green building certified homes by 2030 thru our BluHomes ™brand.
- We will only build new EDGE Advanced, or better, green building certified homes from 2021 onwards.
- We will lower the utility bills of 150 homes by 2030 through energy efficiency measures.
Vinte’s shared value business model has focused historically in generating Social and Green Impact, as well as Innovation, including being the first housing developer to certify EDGE homes globally in 2012 and becoming recently the leaders in number of EDGE certified units in the world. Vinte pledges to continue with a high EDGE certification pace towards 2025 and 2030. Vinte will also continue to innovate through our digital information cloud.
Sergio Leal Aguirre
Vinte commits to build:
- More than 12,000 EDGE homes or equivalent by 2025, including approximately 1,300 EDGE Advanced homes (Zero Carbon Ready)
- More than 19,500 EDGE homes or equivalent by 2030, including approximately 2,100 EDGE Advanced homes (Zero Carbon Ready)
Vinte certified homes will have saved:
- More than 2.6 million M3 of water by 2025
- More than 7.1 million M3 of water by 2030
- More than 30,000 tons of CO2 emissions by 2025
- More than 80,000 tons of CO2 emissions by 2030
- More than 2.5 million Giga Joules of embedded energy in materials by 2025
- More than 4.0 million Giga Joules of embedded energy in materials by 2030
Leading with environmental stewardship: At LatAm Logistic Properties, we are committed to developing and operating modern, efficient and sustainable logistics parks that adhere to world class industry specifications, while complying with the strictest standards for environmental sustainability.
CEO, LatAm Logistic Properties
LatAm Logistic Properties commits to build:
- 1,465,800 sqm of EDGE Zero Carbon (or equivalent) or EDGE Advanced buildings (or equivalent 40% resource reduction) by 2030
- We will only build new certified green buildings from 2022-2030We will only build new EDGE Net Zero carbon (or equivalent) or EDGE Advanced (or equivalent 40% resource reduction) certified buildings from 2022-2030
- We will inventory all our assets and review our new build investment criteria and map out/publish an initial zero carbon trajectory for our company by 2022-2022
In the face of the climate crisis, it is everyone’s duty, including companies, governments, NGO and individuals, to join the decade of action aligned with the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. COMVIVE’s contribution is to create sustainable and resilient communities towards net zero. Through our innovation capabilities and climate finance support we are improving the living standards of our communities contributing to a more sustainable world.
- 10,000 square meters of certified net zero carbon ready buildings by 2022
- 100,000 square meters of certified green buildings by 2025
- 10,000 square meters of certified net zero carbon buildings by 2025
- We will pursue to only build new certified green buildings from 2025 on
- We expect to only build new net zero carbon ready buildings by 2030
- We are building sustainable communities towards net zero enhancing local resilience aligned to the “Sustainable Development Goals” (SDG)
- 9 square meters of green areas per inhabitant
- 30,000 square meters of land destinated to sustainable community development facilities by 2025
There are clear business and environmental cases for the transition of the real estate sector to Zero Carbon. As pioneers in our markets in the integration of the EDGE Certification and climate change considerations in our investment process, we are committed to be agents of change and lead through example for this transition. As an Emerging Markets investor, our aim is to continue aligning our investments with the developmental needs of our markets.
CEO of AshmoreAVENIDA
- At least 90% of our portfolio will be certified green by 2025.
- At least 50% of our portfolio will be certified EDGE Advanced (Zero Carbon Ready) by 2025.
- We will only invest in certified green buildings from 2021.
- We will only invest in EDGE Advanced (Zero Carbon Ready) certified buildings from 2030.
- We will promote green building certification to all our development partners from 2021.
In order to not exceed 1.5 ºC according to the Paris Agreement, each year until 2050 we must renew between 3% and 5% of the existing building inventory. Because of this, we will focus on retrofitting existing buildings and will be committed to reduce their carbon footprint by implementing sustainable strategies, preparing them as Zero Energy Ready and contributing to the global goals towards 2050.
CEO, Fibra Eco
Fibra Eco commits to:
- Certify 100% of our portfolio with green building certification (EDGE or some equivalent certification)
- For all of our assets, achieve at least 20% savings in energy, water, and energy embedded in materials within the first three years after their acquisition.
- Be Zero Carbon Ready by 2030. 100% of our assets will have, at least, an EDGE Advanced certification with savings of 40% in energy, 20% water and 20% in energy embedded in materials
EZLand commits to:
- We expect to build 1 million square meters of EDGE Zero Carbon (or equivalent) or EDGE Advanced (Zero Carbon Ready) buildings by 2030.
- We will only build new certified green buildings from 2022-2030.
- We will only build new EDGE Net Zero carbon (or equivalent) or EDGE Advanced (Zero Carbon Ready) certified buildings from 2025-2030.
Greenage commits to:
- Achieving Net-Zero in our student housing buildings using IFC EDGE building methodology by 2040.
- Greenage is committed to delivering between 50,000-100,000 bed spaces of EDGE Advanced (Zero Carbon Ready) Certified Student Housing Units that will contribute towards reduced consumption of natural resources and savings in Water, Electricity and Building Materials by a minimum of 40% – 45% as part of our contribution towards achieving Net-Zero by 2040.
We decided to take action and assume our responsibility with the next generations. As companies, we have the great opportunity to generate substantial impacts in our community, socially, economically and environmentally. The COVID19 pandemic made us think, analyze and deeply rethink the purpose of the organization, today we have a purpose that will allow us to leave a legacy in our communities that we can be proud of. Despite being a small company, we are the first in Latin America to have THE SUSTAINABLE SITES INITIATIVE certification in a real estate development and the first to produce EDGE ADVANCED homes in the state of Yucatán.
CEO AMG Desarrollos
AMG Desarrollos commits to:
- Our current portfolio is 100% certified green, and all our future developments will also be 100% certified green
- 85% of our real estate portfolio will be Net Zero Carbon Ready by 2030
- We will build only Net Zero Carbon Ready certifiable buildings from 2030 onwards
- We expect to build our first Net Zero Carbon house in 2025
- By 2030 we will save:
- More than 10 million kwh electric energy.
- More than 2millon m3 water.
- More than 2,000 tCo2.
- 100% of our portfolio will be aligned with the sustainable development goals from 2022
- We will promote social impact strategies associated to 85% of our portfolio, expecting to improve life quality of the local communities
- By 2030, we will seek that 30% our suppliers are certified with any sustainable practices recognition
- We will promote the transition of our collaborators towards sustainable practices
Sustainability has been an integral part of Asia Green Real Estate’s DNA since the establishment of the company. Therefore, we will continuously incorporate sustainability initiatives in our company strategy in order to achieve our long term goal to deliver environmental, social, well-being and financial benefits for all of our stakeholders.
Asia Green Real Estate Green Building Team
Arista Dharsono – Director of Operations, Satrio Prakoso – Project Control Manager, Michel Greter – Investment Manager, Chris Zhu – Senior Communications Manager
Asia Green Real Estate commits to:
- We aim to certify 100% of our real estate portfolio with green building certification by 2030.
- We have been promoting green building certification to all of our partners since the establishment of the company and will continue to promote it to our partners from 2021.
- We aim to certify our real estate portfolio with EDGE Advanced (Zero Carbon Ready) by 2030.
Grupo IKON, as a member of the Mexican Chapter of Conscious Capitalism, since its establishment has pursued the development of disruptive projects as a strategy for positive change in our society. EDGE has helped us define a clear path towards a Net Zero objective and continue to contribute to the wellbeing of our environment and communities.
Sergio Ramos Aldrete
CEO, Grupo IKON
Grupo IKON expects to build:
- 238,080 sqm of certified green buildings by 2025
- 381,240 sqm of certified net zero carbon buildings by 2030
We will only build new certified green buildings from 2022.
We will only build new net zero carbon ready buildings from 2025.
We will lower the utility bills of up to 4,500 households by 2030 through energy efficiency measures.
We will incorporate on-site renewable technologies in all of our new buildings.