Take the Zero Carbon Pledge
What is the Zero Carbon Pledge?
IFC and EDGE support the development of Zero Carbon buildings worldwide. A Zero Carbon building is at least 40% more energy efficient than business as usual and is fully powered from renewable energy*. Participating companies pledge their portfolio of buildings will become Zero Carbon (or Zero Carbon Ready) by a certain date.
How do I get involved in the Zero Carbon Pledge as a developer?
To take the Zero Carbon Pledge, a developer commits a portion or all of their portfolio to being 100% Zero Carbon by a certain date – between 2030 and 2050, and defines the number of certified square meters. EDGE Advanced certification (Zero Carbon Ready) is also an option.
What’s in it for our company?
- Show leadership in green buildings on a global stage around the upcoming UN COP26 in November 2021
- Attract international clientele
- Attract new sources of green finance
- Demonstrate your contribution towards the Paris Agreement
Who do I contact to get involved?
You can contact Michelle Farrell at IFC and get the full list of commitment options and details of the program. Her email is email@example.com and she will get you the enrollment papers.
Looking forward to your participation in the Zero Carbon Pledge!
*in certain cases, carbon offsets are also an option
“ALP is determined to move from a low carbon to a zero carbon developer because it is both the right thing to do for all our stakeholders and because, as a long term investor in our modern industrial buildings it is the only viable commercial path for our company.” – Richard Hough, CEO-Africa Logistics Properties (ALP)
- We will continue to build new certified green buildings as we have done from 2017.
- We have inventoried all our assets and in under four years, ALP has so far raised US$86.5million to construct modern grade-A warehouse facilities in the Eastern African region with US$80million already invested and c.US$66.5million forecast to be invested in Kenya.
- We expect to build 100,000 sqm of certified green Industrial buildings by 2025 on our 49 acre ALP West Logistics Park in Tilisi, Limuru, Kenya.
- We expect to build at least 50,000 sqm of certified net zero carbon* Industrial buildings by 2030.
- We will lower the utility bills of all our newly constructed Industrial buildings in our portfolio by 2030 through energy efficiency measures.
- We are continuously reviewing our new build investment criteria and will map out/publish an initial zero carbon trajectory for our company by 2023.
“We believe it is possible to align the interest profit, people and planet to deliver our overall objective and sustainability is a key word for our business.”
- We expect to build 120,000 sqm of EDGE Advanced certified green buildings by 2025 and 10,000 sqm of certified net zero carbon buildings by 2030
- We will lower the utility bills of up to minimum 25% households by 2030 through energy efficiency measures
- We will inventory all our assets and review our new build investment criteria and map out/publish an initial zero carbon trajectory for our company by 2022
- We commit to increase roof surface space for all our buildings in new developments to a total minimum of 40,000 sqm to adopt more solar roof installation and generate solar renewable energy for homeowners.
“Paladin Realty is committed to helping reduce carbon in the built environment by stepping up its leadership role in Latin America.”
- We commit that 2/3 of our real estate portfolio will be certified green by 2025
- 80% of our real estate portfolio will be certified EDGE Net Zero carbon (or equivalent) or EDGE Advanced (or equivalent 40% resource reduction)* by 2030
- We will promote green building certification to all our local partners and stakeholders beginning in 2021
- We will only invest in certified green buildings from 2022 onwards
- We will only invest in EDGE Net Zero carbon (or equivalent) certified buildings from 2025 onwards
“The severity of our current climate crisis requires a commensurate response and commitment from real estate owners, developers, and managers: NET ZERO. We firmly believe that we can and must play our part in this global collective effort. We are wholeheartedly making a Net Zero Carbon Buildings Commitment and encourage all other real estate firms to heed the call and make the commitment.” – Raymond Rufino (CEO)
- For all new office projects, we will only build certified green and net zero carbon buildings*
- Our current portfolio is already 100% certified as green buildings. We will achieve Net Zero Carbon* certification for our entire portfolio by 2022.
- We will lower the utility bills of our managed properties by a minimum of 25% by 2030 (compared to the 2019 baseline) through energy efficiency measures
- Our current portfolio is already 100% powered through renewable energy. Our portfolio will continue to source and use only renewable energy moving forward (except for standby power for resilience).
“EDGE has allowed us to position ourselves as the only provider of affordable “sustainable and resilient homes” in the Philippines. It is amazing to see that we are empowering the affordable housing market with the ability to fight climate change — while they are saving on utility expenses and enjoying a green home.” – Emma Imperial, President – Imperial Homes
Imperial Homes Corporation pledges 100% of its solar-powered resilient communities be certified EDGE Advanced or EDGE Net Zero Carbon from 2022-2030. As to the square meters that we would like to commit, we’re looking at 338,159 sqm based on our current EDGE portfolio.
Vinte commits to build:
- More than 12,000 EDGE homes or equivalent by 2025
- More than 19,500 EDGE homes or equivalent by 2030
Vinte certified homes will have saved:
- More than 2.6 million M3 of water by 2025
- More than 7.1 million M3 of water by 2030
- More than 30,000 tons of CO2 emissions by 2025
- More than 80,000 tons of CO2 emissions by 2030
- More than 10 million Giga Joules of embedded energy in materials by 2025
- More than 27 million Giga Joules of embedded energy in materials by 2030
“We want to inspire Filipinos that there is a better way in building a home that is both comfortable to people and at the same time not harming the environment. We all have a duty to protect our planet for our children and future generations to inherit.”
Paolo Bellosillo, President
- We expect to build 10,000 sqm of EDGE Advanced, or better, green building certified homes by 2030 thru our BluHomes ™brand.
- We will only build new EDGE Advanced, or better, green building certified homes from 2021 onwards.
- We will lower the utility bills of 150 homes by 2030 through energy efficiency measures.